Thursday, May 19, 2011

Assistant's View: The New Kid

It has been nearly a month since I have started my new position as an assistant superintendent to Mr. Steve Sarro at Vail Golf Club. Moving from Iowa in April, I was told that I would have two springs this year but had no idea that I would be watching snow fall towards the end of May. I think it is pretty cool but I am as excited to get this season in “full swing” as everyone else.


A few things I have experienced here include: training new staff, clearing greens of snow, sand bagging the Gore Creek, and how quickly the weather changes in a moment’s notice. Having most of my work experience in the Midwest, mountain golf course maintenance will be a new concept I am excited to learn. I am interested in the different types of plants and animals, climatic changes, agronomic principles, and the lack of turf pests and disease pressures.

So far, everyone I have met that works for Vail Recreation District (VRD) is very nice, supportive and up-holds a team player attitude. The VRD provides an excellent working environment and I look forward to becoming more involved in all aspects of the organization.

Hope to see you on the course soon,

Andy Unrau

No comments:

Post a Comment